Carl Selinger



The thrilling first day of the XBL-- I vividly remember the first thrill in my Port Authority career. Fifty years ago--Friday, December 18, 1970, at about 6:45 am-- I was 24 and alone in the quiet Lincoln Tunnel Manager’s office. The only sound breaking the silence was the facility radio squawking chatter from the Police.

The facility radio suddenly crackled out: “First bus entering XBL.”
Wow! The first bus in the XBL-- the exclusive bus lane-- a lane for buses only going towards the tunnel--reversed and against outbound traffic--was still about ten minutes away from being in sight out the manager’s big windows.
I can still feel the thrill. I relished being alone to hide my tense glee, but scared at the same time: what if an accident happens? I looked out the large window to the “helix” approach roadway bringing traffic down to the toll booths. No buses in sight yet. And the Police radio was ominously silent. I was “flying blind,” wondering if everything was going okay. There were no mobile phones to call anyone.

Then: “First bus passing Palisade Avenue.” Halfway there! Relief, breathe!
This was my first real project … the first time that I had helped plan and design something that was actually happening! The first bus had entered the 2-1/2 mile-long single reversed lane for buses only, to bypass inbound cars and trucks on the other “right” side of the roadway. It would go against traffic on this three-lane road, separated from oncoming traffic by a not-very-formidable combination of yellow plastic posts, double-yellow lane stripes, and overhead red Xs or green down arrows.

I was told that the first bus moved slowly down the lane at 35 mph, closely following a Port Authority police car leading the way with its roof lights blazing. Other buses followed like a line of elephants marching on a narrow path, not poking anything out for fear of getting clipped by oncoming traffic.
After what seemed to be an eternity, the first bus appeared at the top of the helix! I shivered in the quiet--it seemed like it was going in slow motion, crawling down the helix, and around the big turn to the toll booths.

And then it was into the tunnel. I stood transfixed. The first bus on the XBL had made it through. Later I heard later that jubilant passengers on the buses that day had applauded as they passed by the horrific inbound traffic!
The XBL was a huge success from Day One, achieving national recognition for the Port Authority. I am delighted that anyone can still experience it, as the XBL operation is virtually unchanged from that first day fifty years ago, a testament to the Port Authority planners, engineers, PAPD, operations and other staff who made it happen!



Send mail to
paranynj with questions or comments about this website.
Copyright © 2006 Port Authority Retirees Association, Inc.
Privacy   Disclaimer   Webmaster Contact Us   Subscribe to Para~eblasts
Last modified: Monday, May 10, 2021 03:05:01 PM